Monday, June 2

Salisbury Saturday

On Saturday I spent the day in Salisbury. I had been once many years ago but, as that was to visit a Beer Festival, hadn't seen the sights. We started at the Art Centre at St. Mark's Church for coffee and then wandered down to the Market Square, where a male majorette troupe - The Majorwrecks, were waiting to perform. They are a group of gentlemen from Devizes who fundraise by entertaining people with their novel act. Unfortunately their PA system wasn't working, so we made our way to the cathedral.After our visit to this stunning building we passed back through the Market Square to find that the Majorwrecks had fixed their sound and were about to start. They were hilarious! 
We decided to visit Stonehenge on the way home. Unfortunately we ended up on the wrong A road out of Salisbury and had to navigate our way across country to the A360 - no problem except that 'someone' misread the map and we went several miles out of our way before we were on the right track again. (I know, Brownie Guiders should be able to map read, but it was an old map and the roads weren't clearly marked - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!)
I had been to Stonehenge as a child, but nevertheless it was still a glorious sight! I couldn't help taking photos from every angle! 
I've now started to re-read Edward Rutherfurd's 'Sarum' - To quote Amazon 'In a novel of extraordinary richness, the whole sweep of British civilization unfolds through the story of one place, Salisbury, from beyond recorded time to the present day. The landscape - as old as time itself - shapes the destinies of the five families. The Wilsons and the Shockleys, locked in a cycle of revenge and rivalry for more than 400 years. The Masons, who pour their inspired love of stone into the creation of Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral. The Porters, descended from a young Roman soldier in exile. And the aristocratic Norman Godefrois, who will fall to the very bottom of the social ladder before their fortunes revive.' Phew!!

9 comments:

misteejay said...

Debbie, fab LOs - love the title on the Stonehenge one. Great photos.

Toni :o)

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

Love all the different styles and sizes of photos on your LO and the Stonehenge title is great

Cass said...

Gorgeous LO's.Love the way you've done the Stonehenge title.

Cass xxx

Paige said...

Sounds like you had a great visit on Saturday..... you never seem to stop!!! what with school trips and Brownie Trips :) I'm loving your Stonehenge Lo the photos are great and the Title is Brillant!!!

Unknown said...

That Stonehenge title is fabulous and so is the LO. Great piccies X

Laura said...

thanks for the comment on my blog! It did make me laugh! So I guess you are a Brownie Guider then?

L x

Unknown said...

Great LO's - did you do the Tower tour at Salisbury cathedral? We did when we visited and it was fantastic seeing Salisbury from so high up!

Claire said...

Fab LOs, looks great! x

Unknown said...

Great LOs, and its years since I read Sarum!